Lower School Counseling
The Lower School years at Jackson Academy set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes, and skill necessary for your child to become a healthy, competent, and confident learner.
Our Lower School counselor works with JA staff, parents and the community to create a caring climate and atmosphere for your child. She meets regularly with children to talk about the challenges they face and, on a monthly basis, provides character education with a specialized curriculum for each grade level.
By providing education, prevention, early identification, and intervention services, the Lower School counselor can help your child achieve academic success.
The Lower School years are a time when your child will begin to develop his or her academic self-concept and feelings of competence and confidence as learners. Children are beginning to develop decision-making, communication and life skills, as well as character values.
At Jackson Academy, our Lower School counselor will:
- Keep parents in the loop regarding issues or challenges their child may be facing.
- Facilitate small groups, interventions, and referrals to outside professionals as needed.
- Maintain counseling department library books and community resource information.
- Meet with parents and students for individual conferences.
- Serve as a support resource to teachers in the classroom.
- Invite special topic speakers to campus.
Kathy Sheffield, Lower School Counselor
Kathy Sheffield joined Jackson Academy in 2013 and also serves as the school nurse. She holds a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Vanderbilt University and a master’s degree in school counseling. She can be reached at 601.364.1059 or email@example.com.